The date on the wall is 1841 and the poem on the monument reads,
“A Plague wind blew across the land
Fever was in the air
Fields were black that once were green
And death was everywhere”
1841 – 1850
The building played a key role in the housing and welfare of famine victims in the 1840s. In the early 1920s part of the building was destroyed by arson. A well-known and much loved feature of the surrounding area the remaining building was restored in 2014 using large format Bangor Blue slates supplied by LBS.