Easter 2015 saw the completion of the refurbishment of the prestigious Lynn Building, Queens University Belfast. This Grade B Listed Building, as its name suggests, was designed by famous Belfast architect W.H. Lynn. The original section of the building was completed in 1863 and a later West section added in 1913. The red brick building had been home to the Queen’s Library for many years, until the opening of the new purpose built McClay Library Building in 2009.
With the Lynn building situated at the front of Queen’s University campus, adjacent to the Lanyon building, it was essential that the character of the original building was retained. The original slates were carefully stripped from the roof and assessed, whereupon, a proportion of the Green Vermont slates were found to have a limited remaining lifespan, and were deemed unfit for re-use on the roof.
LBS supplied the project with the new Bangor Blue Celtic 500×300 slates, and Vermont Green 500×300 slates, needed for the restoration work. The Bangor Blue Welsh slates make up the main part of the roof, with the Vermont slates used to create the attractive Green banding detail that is visible in the photos.
Welsh Slate has for many years been an important part of the architectural fabric of our landmark buildings here in Ireland. In keeping with this history the Lynn Building has been sensitively restored, and updated, without sacrificing the integrity or quality of the materials used, or indeed the architecture of the building itself.
Project Architect: Consarc Conservation, Belfast
Main Contractor: Woodvale Construction Company, Omagh
Roofing Contractor: D Harkin Roofing, L’Derry
Resources: The Re-use of Slate http://www.lbsproducts.com/buyersguidereclaimedbangorblueslate/